Magicians aren’t supposed to reveal their secrets, but I’ve got a big one for you: when buying a new-construction home, you can use a REALTOR® to represent you in the deal. In many cases, it won’t cost a thing—and can even save you money!
The reason is simple: the showhome salesperson is the builder’s representative, not yours. Your Realtor, on the other hand, has a fiduciary responsibility to represent your best interests and will always be in your corner. Think of the Realtor as your market expert and advocate, while the showhome rep is your source for guidance on the housing development, surrounding community and construction. Together, they help ensure this exciting purchase is covered from every angle.
Here’s what you need to know to get started on the right foot:
- If a new-home build is a consideration, it’s important to have your Realtor present on the first visit to the showhome. The Realtor may need to register you and ensure they can represent you in the purchase.
- Because the showhome rep is working for the seller (a.k.a. the builder), you’ll want to keep things like budget, purchase motivation and timelines to yourself. Your Realtor will already have this information and can communicate with the builder on your behalf to help get you the best deal.
- Your Realtor’s fees are typically paid by the seller (a.k.a. the builder), so in those cases, there’s no cost or downside to using one. Some people assume that by not using a Realtor, that fee can be passed onto them in savings, but that’s not necessarily the case. The bottom line is that you typically won’t save money by foregoing a Realtor; in many cases, you’ll end up paying more.
- Working with a Realtor means you’ll know the actual market value of the new-home construction. For example, will all the bells and whistles recommended be worth the additional cost, or contribute to resale value? A Realtor can also help negotiate the price of upgrades, detect any hidden fees, and guide you through the closing process.
Looking for a new-construction home but not sure where to start? Every builder listed below has a presence in Edmonton-and-area communities, with new constructions available for every need, neighbourhood and budget.
Call or text me at 780-416-0070 to arrange a guided showhome visit!
- Abbey Lane Homes
- Akash Homes Ltd.
- Alldritt Homes
- Brookfield Residential Edmonton
- Carrington Communities
- City Homes Master Builder Inc.
- Coventry Homes Inc.
- Daytona Homes Master Builder
- Dolce Vita Homes
- Homes by Avi (Edmonton) Inc.
- Jayman Built - Edmonton
- Kanvi Homes
- Kimberley Homes
- Landmark Homes (Edmonton)
- Lincolnberg Master Builder
- Marcson Homes Ltd.
- Mattamy Homes - Edmonton
- Pacesetter Homes Ltd. - Edmonton
- Park Homes Ltd.
- Parkwood Master Builder
- Rohit Communities - Edmonton
- Sterling Homes Edmonton Ltd.
- StreetSide Developments - Edmonton
- Westrich Pacific Corp.
As this list is not exhaustive, feel free to be in touch for your company to be included among these Edmonton-area home builders. Please note that these links are provided as a convenience; we cannot guarantee the accuracy, content, or performance of the external site or service.